Tuesday, July 29, 2008

37 Weeks - only 3 more to go!

I went to my 37 week OB appointment yesterday and had an ultrasound done today. My OB appointment was pretty straightforward. I continue to gain weight (2lbs over the past two weeks - good), blood pressure remains low and no real swelling this time.



The biggest news is that my body has finally started to prep for delivery. I finally started having Braxton Hicks contractions a couple of nights ago and possibly this morning. At yesterday's appointment, I was a whole 1cm dilated and 25% effaced... which, in all reality, doesn't amount to much. I was 1cm dialated for several weeks before Addie was born. In fact, that didn't change until after my water broke (at home). I was still only 1 cm dialated when we arrived at the hospital (about 30 minutes later), but then ramped rather quickly (and painfully) from 1-10 cm in about 3 hours time. Needless to say, I'm going to try to make it to the hospital a little earlier this time around. I need two rounds of antibiotics for the Group B strep, and I wouldn't mind having the epidural a little longer (I only got it for the pushing stage with Addie... and if they had bothered to check my cervix, I wouldn't have gotten that).



I requested today's ultrasound so that I could check in on the baby's progress. The baby feels so cramped, I just wanted to make sure it had enough room to continue growing. My doctor is very accommodating and made up a medical excuse (too LARGE for gestational age) for insurance purposes. Well, the outcome of the ultrasound is the exact opposite. The baby is too SMALL for its gestational age and is currently measuring about 5.5lbs... not surprising, Addie was only 6lbs 10oz when she was born. So, we've scheduled a follow-up ultrasound in two weeks. As long as the baby gains another pound (0.5lbs a week is typical), we'll let the baby hang out until he/she decides to come. However, there is a slight chance that we may have to speed things along if we don't see enough weight gain at the next ultrasound.



That's about it for now. Hope everyone is enjoying this heat as much as I am! ;-)

2 comments:

Jennifer McHam said...

Oh gosh Jen - get to the hospital quickly! I only pushed for 45 minutes w/ T. Then, after my water broke @ home w/ P, I was having contractions every 15 or so seconds 2 hours later and being wheeled in for an emergency section! YIKES! I told Mark if we ever go for #3 I am camping out at the hospital my entire 3rd trimester. I'm sure you are getting ready to meet baby - We can't wait to hear the good news!

The Armstrong's said...

WOW, I can't wait to get the news on the arrival! I'm glad to hear everything is going well. I can't believe how fast the time goes once they are born. Good Luck if I don't hear from you before you deliver.