Saturday, August 23, 2008

Alexandra Kaye Fisher

Alexandra Kaye Fisher


Born August 18th, 2008 at 5:59 pm


6lbs 12oz and 20in



Little "Alex" entered the world on Monday, August 18th after 36 hours of labor. You know how they say every child and every delivery is different... well, Alex came out of the womb making the statement that SHE is different... just not TOO different.... see what I mean.



Labor and delivery actually went well, with the exception that it took FOREVER. I started having contractions 6:30 Sunday morning. Of course, I called my parents to let them know that today was the day, so they drove on up. Needless to say, we all sat around waiting for the contractions to consistently get closer. Although they were getting stronger, they refused to maintain a consistent pattern, so we went to dinner, went on numerous walks and waited... and waited... and then went to bed frustrated (at least I did).

There was a definite change by morning, so I called the doctor and we went into the office. They admitted me to the hospital at 4cm dialated and 90% effaced at 9:30 Monday morning. Within the hour I was strapped into bed and hooked up with IV antibiotics for the Group B strep. Each round of antibiotics takes 4 hours to administer, and I needed two rounds, so you guessed it, we waited...

The nurse came in to check me around 2pm and to break my water. I had just gotten an epidural in anticipation of the contraction strength increasing after the water broke. Although the epidural was effective enough to take away the uterine pain, it had the unfortunate side effect of dropping my blood pressure (which is naturally low) like a rock, and they ended up having to push a little epinephrine to get it back up (this is why I hate drugs - my body just doesn't tolerate them well). It also stopped my contractions dead in their tracks, so they had to push pitocin to get things back on track.

Once the pitocin kicked in, the contractions ramped up and they called the doctor around 5:40pm when I told the nurses that Alex was HERE. Because Addie was born so quickly, my doctor asked that I not push until she arrived from across the street. Again, the waiting was the worst part. Once my doctor arrived, it took a whole 4 minutes of pushing to bring the little girl into the world. Finally, a chance to meet the little tummy dweller.

Well, it goes without saying that we are all very happy that she is here and she arrived safely (no broken bones this time). She's a little angel and an absolute blessing. Here's a couple of pictures of our newest treasure.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the family Alex! Congratulations Jen, Kris and Addie, she is beautiful! Can't wait to meet her. Love to you all.

Anonymous said...

she is so tiny and so adorable

Jennifer McHam said...

Oh my goodness CONGRATULATIONS! Your whole family is beautiful. We couldn't be happier for all 4 of you. Much love,
Jen & the boys