Like her sister before her, Alex was oh-so-tiny when she was born - a whopping 6 lbs 12 oz at birth and only 6 lbs by the time we left the hospital. Now, like her sister before her, Alex is head to toe chunky-monkey! There's not a single spot on her body that isn't double layered, and I love it!

We had a 6 month check-up on the 20th. Her stats are as follows:
Weight: 18 lbs 2 oz! (75-90%)
Height: 26.75 inches (75-90%)
Head: ??? (25%)
So, I guess her above average height dictates that she be above average in weight, as well. As far as the small head size is concerned, I think she is perfectly proportioned and I consider a small head a blessing (like during delivery!).
Alex continues to develop right on track with the doctor's developmental milestones, albeit at a somewhat slower pace than her sister did. I'm trying very hard not to compare the two, but I think comparison between siblings is inevitable. Addie was quick to do everything. For example, she was able to hold her head up while lying on her stomach when she was only 5 weeks old (this was, of course, when she was still a skinny little runt. Once the chunk came, she couldn't hold that noggin' up like she used to). Addison also rolled over and sat up at an early age (I have a picture of her sitting up unassisted at 4-5 months), and she definitely walked at an early age (she began crawling and walking at 8 months). Alex, at 6 months, still hasn't rolled over (that I've seen) and she has just recently become stable enough to sit up by herself. I was able to snap a quick picture of her sitting up by herself last weekend... before she fell over and bumped her head on a padded floor.

I know the kids will develop differently and at different rates - I'm not worried about it in the least. I do, however, think that Alex may be developing a bit more slowly because I just don't have the time to work with her one-on-one like I did with Addie. That girl had my undivided attention. Two kids, on the other hand, require a bit more of a juggling act. I'm not saying its hard... in fact, its easier than I thought it would be... it's just inevitable that with more kids, there's obviously less time to devote to each one on an individual basis.
I keep my balls in the air (I'm continuing the juggling metaphor, if its unclear) by dividing myself into pieces. The first chunk goes to my husband (or, at least it should). I think this is important and something that we, as mothers, sometimes forget to do, often placing our children in the forefront. Although my children are one of my greatest priorities, I believe that they will be best served by growing up in an environment, which allows them to learn first hand the importance and gratification of a strong, healthy marriage (look at me ramble... this was supposed to be a post about Alex turning 6 months old... oh well). The rest of me will be divided among my children, my friends and family AND myself (the last one is the hardest for me to do, and something I need to work on).
Hmm, sounds like there may only be crumbs left when I am done dividing myself into itty bitty pieces. However, something tells me that it can be done, and that maybe, just maybe, there will be enough of me left over to juggle just one more ball (Kris - stop laughing, its a metaphor).
1 comment:
WHAT DO YOU MEAN JUST ONE MORE BALL - ARE YOU PREGNANT?!?!?!?!?! If so WOO HOOOOOOO!!! You are such an amazing mommy!!! Your girls are soooo soooo lucky. And you are so right - It's hard to divvy up yourself isn't it??? And BTW I just got the joke about Kris laughing at the ball.... You are FUNNY ...!
Post a Comment