My First Marathon (and Kris' first post!):
I finished my first half marathon just over a year ago. I couldn’t believe that this old swimmer -- someone who could barely run for 3 min on a treadmill the year before -- had completed his first half marathon! I remember thinking at the end of the half, that there was no way on earth I would have been able to turn around and run another 13.1 miles… A marathon was simply out of the question… those people are crazy and that will never be something I do…
So I turned my attention to triathlons. After completing 4 tri’s last year (3 sprints and 1 Olympic), I was somehow convinced/duped (by my tri buddies) into doing an Ironman in Novermber '09. Well for those of you that aren't familiar with Ironman registrations, let me explain… if it is a domestic Ironman, you have to sign up the day they open registration, as they typically sell out within 12-24 hours. Since I was considering doing my first Ironman in Cozumel (a new, and therefore, fairly unknown location) it gave me a little more cushion to talk myself into it.
Once I convinced Jen I could survive (I am still not 100% sure she believes that yet), I signed up and began training.
The most obvious obstacle ahead was that at the end of a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike ride, I would have to “run” a marathon… oh snap!... what have I got myself into? So onto the logical conclusion… I better attempt a marathon before I attempt an Ironman…. I began by reading up on and following what “runner’s world” tells me I should do: a 16 week training schedule that starts slow and gradually builds up mileage. Things are looking good... I complete another confidence building half marathon in January 09, and build up to a 16 mile run later that month, and then just when I am going to get that all important “20 mile here comes the wall” run in… I get sick!
Three weeks left till the marathon and I come down with bronchitis. From the point of getting sick till marathon day I was only able to get 2, 4mile runs in… let me go on record as saying I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS as a taper strategy for a marathon. However, my mind was set (and my $110 paid) and I needed to complete this marathon to give myself the mental confidence for the upcoming Ironman.
They say there is a "wall" that most marathoner’s will hit around the 20-21 mile marker. From this point on you are running on fumes and sheer determination. I was introduced to the “wall” at about mile 16-17. I won’t lie, from here on out it was EXTREMELY painful… this is about the point where my amazing “taper” reared its ugly head.
I am supremely thankful for Jen and the girls surprising me at mile 17 ( I wasn’t expecting them till mile 20). They lifted my spirits and were my greatest motivator to carry on. Seeing the girls throughout the course cheering me on was amazing… I truly believe that for those among us that treat the marathon as something we are willing to “attempt”, it is 80% spirit and 20% physical ability that allows one to finish it. Jen and the girls gave me that confidence, belief and support not only on race day, but also throughout the long training days that allowed me to complete this beast.
Let me back up for a moment… I believe that there are 3 types of people that can successfully train for an Ironman or marathon competition. Single people, people looking to get divorced, and those who have an amazingly supportive family at home who are willing to give you the time and support it takes to train for such insane events. I am lucky enough to have fallen into the third group. I started this crazy journey at probably the most selfish time that I could have… Jen was pregnant with Alex, a pregnancy that she was certainly worried about, and I am sure she would have preferred to have me around much more then I was to help out with Addie (as she was going through the joys of being 2). Yet throughout everything Jen was dealing with, she supported me 100%, she gave me the time to get in those long runs, those very long weekend bike rides and those morning and evening swims. She even helped kick me out the door on the days I didn't feel like running. I could not have accomplished this marathon without her, and as I came down the finishers shoot and crossed the finish line in a painful 5 hours and 3 min, all I could think about was trying to find Jen in the crowd so I could share the thrill with her that she made happen…
Thank-you Jen for all that you have helped me become.
Kris
No comments:
Post a Comment