... for a child I never knew, and for her dear parents, whom have lost so much in such a short time.
I blog about mundane things. Not to say that my children are boring. On the contrary, they keep me on my toes everyday. I'm constantly amazed by what they say and what they do... but hey, I'm a mom whose in love with her kids.
I never blog about anything serious, or thought provoking, or sad. It's not that I haven't experienced any of those things - I just don't blog about them... until today.
I came across another mom's blog the other day. You know, a blog of a friend, of a friend, of a friend. Sometimes I feel like a blog-stalker when I'm reading about people I don't even know, but I get sucked in, especially when the bloggist (is that a word now?) is a well versed writer, posts amazing pictures or just happens to tell lots of funny stories about kids, life, etc. However, the blogs that I become invested in are the ones that deal with sick children. Maybe its because I'm a mom of two amazing kids, and like every mother, I'm scared to death to lose them.
And that's how I happened to come across little Cora, beautiful 11-month old Cora. I'm sure some of you have read Cora's story. If not, please spare yourself the heartache and listen to the short version.
Cora's parents took her to the pediatrician two weeks ago for reoccurring ear infections. They ended the day with a diagnosis of stage IV cancer - neuroblastoma, I think. She immediately went into surgery to remove a tumor and started her first round of chemo a few days later. I checked her blog regularly, hoping for positive updates on this little trooper... she reminded me so much of my own precious babies... but the prognosis didn't improve.
Little Cora died today. And I cried as if she were my own. I was consumed by saddness for this little life that had just begun, and for her parents, who were gifted with her presence for such a short while. From one mom to another: I feel your pain.
I don't mean to be a downer, I just wanted to state what should be obvious: Life is precious. Make everday count. And make sure those you love, whether it be family or friends, know that they are loved.
My girl is waking from her nap, excuse me, but I think I'll go hold my little one...
3 comments:
Although living every day like it's your last seems depressing, when practiced, it is really the most satisfying way to live. Very touching story.
Thanks Jen. I've been crying for them too. I can't even begin to imagine it... Thanks for your post.
Jen
So heartbreaking, it makes me so sad to think about a loss like that. I could never imagine!
Post a Comment