Mother's Day 2009 started at 5:30am. Yep, bright and early.
We rolled out of bed, got the kids up and dressed, packed everyone in the car and drove to San Marcos. We headed for the Texas Ski Ranch for the Rookie Triathlon, the second in a long list of tris that Kris has scheduled for this season leading up to the Ironman competition, which takes place Thanksgiving weekend in Cozumel (yeah, pretty cool, I know).
This is the first tri that we've taken both girls. Last year, my very pregnant self chased Addie around the tri grounds, while I tried to snap photos of Kris in the various stages of competition. He flew solo for the last couple of tris when it was just too hot and too close to my due date (I mean, come on, pregnant women do not like to chase toddlers around in 100+ degree weather, especially when they are about to pop).
Addie was excited, and eagerly got out of bed that morning, as she thought we were going to the beach. We were, sort of. The Texas Ski Ranch is a small, man-made lake with a high speed pully system for water skiing. It's a pretty cool setup, and it does have a small beach, although the water is downright foul and smells like rotten eggs. This, of course, does not phase a toddler and we made a bee line for the water as soon as the race started and the competitors cleared out of our way.
Addie had fun playing in the sand, the water, and almost drowned only once. Note to self: teach 3 year old to swim pronto. I, of course, was in the water with her, holding Alex in one arm as Addie played in the water around me. All was well until she got spooked by a little boy pretending to be a shark coming after her. She tripped (over my feet, I think), went under water and had a hard time getting her footing back in the sticky mud. I simply bent down, grabbed her by the shirt and carried her to shore.
It wasn't a big deal, but even so, it surprised me by how calm and unconcerned I was about the whole thing. Yeah, she can't really swim, and it could have been a problem if I was not right next to her, but I was more concerned about losing my $15 Target sunglasses in the lake than I was about my daughter drowning. I don't know what that says about me...
So, other than a near drowning, the girls and I had fun playing while we waited for Daddy to finish his race (which he did, and with a decent time. I think he was second or third in the swim, coming in behind only a few of the pro triathletes, out of about 1000 people. He was happy with his bike and run times, as well). Since it is nearly impossible to catch race photos while looking after two active kids, I was only able to get a few shots at the beginning and end of the race (see slideshow).
All in all, I had a very good Mother's Day. I'm not much of a morning person, so waking at 5:30am kind of sucked, but I got to spend a fun morning playing with my girls. By the time we got home, the girls were so tired that we ALL took naps (which was wonderful), and then we all went out for sushi (my favorite, and surprisingly, a great place for Addie, as she loves miso soup and edamame). It was a good day.


No comments:
Post a Comment