Sunday, January 27, 2008

Kris' First Half Marathon

Kris started running a little less than a year ago to try something new. He ran his first 5k after two weeks of "training." He's come a long way since then...

On January 27, 2008, Kris entered the 3M Half Marathon with about 5,000 other people. We all got up very early on a Sunday morning to see him off for his first "big" race. It was pretty cold, but Addie and I bundled up, unlike those poor fools in the race, most of whom wore tank tops and shorts. Here's a picture of Kris and Addie at the start line. I tried to get pictures of the other 5,000 people in the race, but it was too dark for any of them to come out.



After watching the start of the race, Addie and I grabbed some breakfast tacos (in true Austin style) and headed down to the 8 mile mark to wait for Kris. We stopped at a great little burger joint with a playground to wait for Daddy, and sure enough, here he comes jogging by like a champ! I had a hard time keeping Addie safe on the playground equipment (it was a bit wet with the morning dew and there was a lot of slipping going on), while keeping one eye out for Kris. I actually had to run ahead to snap this picture of him as he went by. Addie was a little confused why her Mommy ran away from her all of a sudden.

Once we caught Daddy at the 8 mile mark, we headed downtown to the finish line. It was pretty crowded, and I worried that we might have missed him, but we actually saw him cross the finish line. He did very well for his first half marathon, finishing in about 2 hours and 10 minutes. He was a bit worse for wear, and couldn't run for the next week or so, due to bruised feet, but he accomplished the goal he had set out for himself. I'm very proud of my little runner! Here's a couple of pictures at the finish line and a photoshop layout that Kris made for the race.



1 comment:

Fisher Family said...

Nice job. "a little cold" is relative I would say. Looks much warmer than the -20F 5k he did up in MN